Friday, September 6, 2019

Life is a Game!

Starting another school year is an exciting ritual. After a brief summer retreat, faculty and students return to face a new adventure. We have the opportunity to challenge ourselves, to introduce new and fresh ideas about several topics and then demonstrate knowledge in a variety of ways. It is an atmosphere of inquiry and change. I periodically post tech ideas and news to this blog, but this year, I want to devote most of my focus on a new course that I am teaching called, Video  Game Design. Spending last spring and summer designing the curriculum was a bit tedious and I have already accepted the fact that it will be a work in progress with ongoing updates. It is one thing to document a lesson plan that you think is a success and another thing to test the plan on your students. So here I am living in a game! My game, if students choose to play, is to get them involved in obtaining the following skills and content:
  • collaboration
  • critical thinking
  • problem solving
  • creativity
  • programming
  • time-management
  • writing
  • planning
  • design
Week 1: Students are doing activities to gain an overview of game design. They begin writing in their Game Developer Journal (GDJ) as they analyze games and answer questions about overall design. We are off to good start! Let the games begin!

No comments: